thumb1

ThumbCoast design competition comes to a close

The Huron Selkie is released with winning design Emily Mainguy Editor-in-Chief Mythical creatures, beer, local artists, and a prize for the winning design. The ThumbCoast Owner and Brew master, Dennis Doyle and Corey Nebbeling, choose the winner of the Huron Selkie design contest Nov. 12 during the reception. The poster designs were narrowed down during…

mcmorran2

McMorran Pavilion will go to SC4

Crowds disappointed at the City Council meeting Mel Buskirk Copy Editor “Leadership fails when the people believe their leaders are either incompetent or don’t care,” stated Ted Walters, 43 of Marysville, after the City Council of Port Huron voted in favor of SC4’s offer of the purchase of the McMorran Pavilion. Many people, like Walters,…

factory1

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust

“Mighty Marysville” Power Plant now collapsed Nick “Chico” Hernandez Managing Editor On Nov. 7, the former DTE owned Marysville Power Plant collapsed in a great wall of dust and brick. The blast was heard all across Marysville, while the dust covered the river. Eight seconds, and the Plant was no more. In 2011, the “Mighty…

May the Force (and the food) be with you

PKSA Karate hosts event for charity Mel Buskirk Copy Editor This Halloween many adults and children alike will be dressing up as their favorite Star Wars characters in anticipation for the new movie coming this December. While our tummies may be filled with sweet sugary goodness, many folks will have to go without. Through the…

beer posters

Local brewery enlists help of graphic design students

ThumbCoast re-releases the Huron Selkie Emily Mainguy Editor-in-Chief “We value education and giving the opportunity to help students get real world experiences,” explained Dennis Doyle, Founder and President of ThumbCoast Brewing Co. ThumbCoast Brewery gave students in the Graphic Design I class the opportunity to assist them with marketing one of their recent releasing beers…

13 ghost

Freaky film for a fall night

Raven Café shows “Thir13en Ghosts” Kayla Flanagan Guest Writer It’s probably safe to say that for most people, Wednesdays aren’t exactly the day of the week that comes to mind when you are thinking of a day to do something fun. Trust me, it’s no different in my mind. However, when I heard that the…

Morrow_Road_Ghost

Morrow Road, haunted?

A local legend Nick “Chico” Hernandez Managing Editor In the darkest nights, at the quietest of times, fear can grip the sanest minds. Many people have experienced the fear when they made a pilgrimage to the infamous Morrow Road. The southern part of the road is located in Clay Township (on the outskirts of Algonac)…

family

Halloween in the Blue Water Area

What to during the Spooky holiday Jenelle Kalaf Photo Editor It’s that time of the year. Where small children dress up and ask strangers for candy, and parents then “check” the candy and eat it themselves. Yes, Halloween, the spookiest of the Holidays. For those of you who can’t partake in free candy, there is…

bike1

Pedal & Park at Pine Grove Park

Bicycle enthusiast event took place for a fifth year Mel Buskirk Copy Editor Bikers of all ages gathered at Pine Grove Park during the 2015 Pedal & Park to show off their rides on a chilly Saturday afternoon on Sept. 19. The event, usually taking place in August, started five years ago to celebrate the…

fourthfriday1

Color me a sundae

Jamie Koebke Business Editor Smooth guitar riffs, heavy harmonica and just a touch of piano filled the Exquisite Corpse Coffee House and Golden Rodent Gallery on Friday September 25th, for Desmond District’s Fourth Friday. The Corpse was not the only downtown business open later than usual on Friday night. The Raven Café, and The Vault…